Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Dat's a No No"

Avarie is a smart cookie. She recognizes when things aren't "correct". For example, when a page is torn in a book, when crayon is on anything BUT paper, and when she drops food on the floor, she promptly tells me "dat's a no no". This is probably because I am constantly telling her what things are "no no's". This brings me to my story. We have felt that Avarie needs to be rid of her paci (pacifier). Bennett, being the dental student that he is, noticed her front teeth were starting to "flare". She only gets her paci at naptime and at night, but the time had come for the grand farewell. Bennett decided on the "cutting the tip" method. He snipped the end of the paci and put it in her crib. I was at the Relief Society broadcoast for the first evening of snipped paci. Bennett told me what happened...at bedtime, Avarie grabbed the usual - Elmo, Dolly, Blanket, and Paci. She put paci in her mouth, and directly pulled it out. She looked at it a little puzzled, poked her finger at it, and declared "dat's a no no". She continued to repeat this over and over. She went to bed crying. The next night I was home and it went the same as the first. We told her paci was broken. She went to bed that night with tears in her sweet little eyes, sobbing "paaacccciiii" and "no-no" over and over. I felt so bad, and I almost started crying as well. The next night was the same, and she was very sad. So I decided to throw it away, and told her it went bye-bye. The last few days have been rough, but she is surviving. Dolly and Elmo are doing their best to console her. The second change of the week was the installation of this:Avarie's little world has gotten smaller. She and Cam are no longer allowed in the kitchen. Though it has been sad for them, it has been joyous for me :) No more little fingers clinging to my legs and feet while I try to cook dinner, do dishes, or sneak a snack for myself. Thus far it has definitely been worth every cent of that $22 I spent. Overall, a successful week of change.

5 comments:

Kimball and Marianne Larsen said...

Oh yea.... Takin' back the kitchen. I love that feeling! Good luck with the paci. Kimball and I did the same thing with Aubrey during dental school. :) So sad, but so glad to never have to find that pacifier EVER AGAIN!

Unknown said...

awwwww so sad about paci! Carter didn't go through many withdrawals when we threw his away... I guess they just get over it! And i love the kitchen fence hahah!! Carter always likes to "help" me unload the dishwasher... by throwing clean dishes onto the floor

Adam and Lindsay said...

Your blog is adorable!! I absolutely love it!!! I left a comment under the baby shower post too...you are too sweet!!! I love the story of Avery's paci!!

Evans Family of Three said...

i hope avarie has forgotten all about paci by now. such a hard thing to do when they are so little but i think every parent is glad they do once its all over! the gate is killing me!! i don't have too much of a problem with owen in the kitchen. :)

Lamont and Melissa Larsen said...

I know what you mean about the paci. Tanner just recently got rid of his. It made momentarily sad as well to take away something that he loved so much.