This year I decided to take on the task of making our stockings for Christmas. Bennett and I collaborated on what they would look like, and decided to incorporate ideas from each of our stockings growing up. Each stocking would be made of felt and have some Christmas character. Sequins would add the finishing touch :) Unfortunately, I was unaware that felt doesn't sew on a machine well, so I had to do everything by hand...my fingers are literally blistered from this task. The sequins were another story. We bought a big bag of assorted colors to save money, but this just made a ridiculously time consuming task. I had to dump out the contents and sort through the sequins to find the right size and color for each name and character. Then using tweezers I had to hot glue each one meticulously in its' place. I finished them off by hand-stitching yarn around the edges. Poor Avarie has spent many hours in her swing and bouncy chair the last 2 days as I have tried to finish these little stinkers. Finally, at 7:30 am today, I completed the task. Hoorah. Here are a few pics of my accomplishment...
Friday, December 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
so cute! we have needlepoint stockings, but since my grandma is no longer with us i have no idea what to do about ella. i don't think i am brave enough for this task. thus, i totally admire yours! way to go!
Way to go, Jenna! I remember making our first stockings when we were in Dental School... We've since changed to a similar style as yours. And--Kimball has a Santa on his, too! So fun.
they look great!! just think next time you guys have another kid you have 9 months to make the stocking! :)
These are so great! I was not aware you are so crafty. That is why I find people like you and pay them to do cool things for me :)
You are so talented!!! I need to make new stockings for us next year. We are still using ones from our childhood. haha The children though do have their own stockings. Hopefully next year Alan's stocking will say Dad and not Alan : )
Hahaha good for you! Every year I think I'm gonna get ambitious and make stockings, and yet we still have none =( I use the excuse that I'm waiting til we have a fireplace. Thank goodness for baby swings though huh.. it's the only way I can get ANYTHING done, and he still would rather be held, the sneaky mama's boy! P.s. how was the anniversary?!
I am so impressed. Here we are eight years later and no homemade stockings...maybe next year!
Post a Comment